Friday, July 11, 2008

legally restricted from using manners

So an odd thing happens when you are a juror. You are ordered by the judge to not speak with ANYONE related to the case (witnesses, attorneys, etc.) which creates many awkward situations throughout the day.

People hold doors for each other since there are usually large amounts of people entering/exiting the courtroom at one time. You have to hold back from saying thank you. Or the person holding the door (unless it is a juror) will look at you as if to say NooOOOOO!!!!! and put their hand out towards in a stop gesture to indicate that you should NOT TALK TO THEM. Okay, I get it, we aren't supposed to talk to anyone about the case. Does it really need to go as far as this? When I bump into one of the lawyers and knock her purse off of her arm and she drops things it is hard to not say excuse me, or sorry, it just feels odd. However, regardless of my opinion on the matter, I am not allowed to say a word. So I just make an "Oops!" face and move along.

We are usually all gathered in the hallway together in the morning, including the family of the defendant, and it is weird to feel like you should avoid being near them. Should I? I mean, I can stand wherever I want, right? Why should I feel odd standing near someone? I suppose it is just the fear of hearing something I wasn't intended to hear and not wanting to break any rules on accident.

Going to work now. It would be nice if jury duty was my job right now and I didn't have to go to work on the days we don't have jury duty. I return to the courthouse Monday at 9am.

No comments: