Sunday, May 4, 2008

Why don't I drink anymore?

I ask myself that question all of the time.

About two years ago I developed some odd intolerance to alcohol. I get a really severe migraine for about 24 hours when I have even just a tiny bit (a few gulps) and I also get bright red and my face feels like it is burning on fire. It is so miserable. I tried to ignore it and slam back the booze but it became not worth it anymore.

I definitely had a drinking problem, too, but I didn't quit for that reason. I felt like my body was trying to tell me that I was putting poison in it.

I feel much better now that I don't drink and it is easier and easier to refuse it. It was a lot harder a few months ago but now I am not tempted. I do not want to drink.

I also turn into a total nutjob when I drink. More on that another day. Maybe I will tell the story where I beat up T and ripped pizza up and threw it all over our house.

I think saying that I am "sober" helps me to realize that it is permanent. That I am sober. It just feels more official. Someone recently said, what is with saying you are sober? Well, I am sober, so why can't I at least say I am?

1 comment:

The Dirty Ballerina said...

Or the time you ate pizza that fell pepperoni side down on Fairfax and then put on 9 layers of someone else's clothes?